Friday, June 17, 2011

Breaking up is hard to do..

I haven't broken up with anyone since...college, I guess. I think another one's coming though. And no, don't worry, it's not my wife!

I had a long phone conversation with my tile sub the other day. It seems he's concerned that his prices are getting too high and that it might be causing me to lose jobs I would otherwise get. Assuming that was the case, he wondered whether it made sense to keep bidding work for me....kind of a waste of time if the price is going to put me out of the running.

He further mentioned that he really enjoyed working with me (one of the few contractors he can say that about...I'm so proud) but that, with only two crews in the field, he is able to get a much higher hourly rate working directly for homeowners and so, the discount he gives me is getting harder to justify. Well, he's no bargain, I can tell you that, but damn, man! his work is impeccable, and he's just really easy to work with.

Anyway, I understand where he's coming from, and I can't really fault him for being honest, but as he was talking, I couldn't help thinking of that old breakup line..."It's not you, Mike, it's ME! It's just not working anymore..." Well, I've heard that a few times in my life, and it always stings a little...even if it did make me almost chuckle on the phone!

So I don't know if we're quits yet, but I can see it coming. I could suggest counseling, but I think we both know the truth. He's got to do what he's got to do, although I might question the long term wisdom of giving up a guy who (when times are better, at least) sends a few jobs a year his way. We'll see, I guess, but right now, I kind of feel like I'm back in high school!

Anyone know a fantastic tile guy?

No comments: