Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cobbler's Kids


The cobbler's kids have no shoes, so the old saying goes. Not entirely true for me (I've done my Kitchen, Master Bath and built an office), but there are always things remaining to be done.

One day, it would be nice to rework the front of my house, and have a nice screened porch, where everyone could hang out and chat with the neighbors as they pass by.

So many people spend all of their time in the back yard, sequestered from any interaction at all with their neighbors.  Neo-urban communities, like Kentlands and others, have picked up on the idea that it is actually NICE to know your neighbors.  I have to say I agree.  

A neighbor of ours a few years ago extended his front porch into a really great patio.  It is a place where not only his family socializes, but where we, as neighbors, are welcomed when we see them outside.

So it's not an original idea on my part, and it's a small thing, really.  It is one of many small things though, that make my neighborhood a place where I want to be.


2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey, nice porch design!

Mike Patterson said...

Thank you...thankyouverymuch. Now, if I can get it built!