Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Please, check my references!

It is surprising to me how few people bother to check references when they’re selecting a contractor to work on their place.  

Most potential clients will ask for a list of references, which I’m happy to provide.  I think that people with whom I have worked successfully are some of the best advertising I can get.  So it surprises me then, when I ask “What did they say about my company?”, and I’m told that they never contacted the references at all.  I mean, I’m glad I come across as honest, ethical and competent but really…..you never called them? 

More than one client has said something along the lines of “What’s the point?  Of COURSE your references will say good things about you” Well, yes, of COURSE they do…..that’s what I pay them for (cue laugh track).  There are other things to consider though. 

Remodeling, especially in an occupied home, can be a nerve wracking experience.  Your life will be disrupted, your personal space invaded.  For someone who has never gone through that process, it can be incredibly stressful.  So many choices to make, information to process, deadlines to worry about.  How your potential contractor deals with all of those things is critical to your happiness. 

So, if you are someone who places a high value on people returning your phone calls, or answering e-mails promptly, then ask about how well your potential contractor does those things. 

If you go absolutely bonkers over the slightest bit of dust……..ask how that was handled. 

If you like to know who will be at your house, and when……ask how scheduling information was handled. 

Ask.  Ask.  Ask. 

The point of these questions is to get an idea of how your potential contractor does things.  Sure, he’s a great guy, and he does great work, but how will you all get along?  Will you need to modify your style, or will you need to ask him to modify his (a somewhat less successful approach, historically!)? 

See, it’s not just about the end result.  It’s also about the journey that it takes to get there.  The questions you ask early on will help that journey to be as pleasant as possible.  

So, ask already!

No comments: