Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cleaning House

This weekend, my wife and I looked around in our basement, and were amazed at the things we have kept over the years….some that have followed us from apartment to town house to house without ever being used.  We agreed that some stuff had to go. 

In the past, I would have thrown some stuff in the truck, and headed down to the dump.  Recently though, I’ve become reacquainted with freecycle (www.freecycle.org).  If you’re not familiar with it, it’s a list serve, where people post items that they either no longer need, or requests for things that they DO need.  The only requirement is that, in both cases, the items offered or requested be free.  If you want to sell something, you can always head over to Craigslist. 

Freecycle’s goal is to keep items out of landfills, and you’d be amazed at how eager others are to take your unwanted stuff.  

A few years ago, we gave away a bunch of my wife’s old shoes to a woman who “just looooved shoes!”  OK, everyone has their fetish, but really, it was great for us both.  We got rid of something we no longer needed, and she got something she really wanted.  We posted some stuff over the weekend and, within hours, had multiple e-mails asking when they could come by and relieve us of our burden.  Some of the stuff got picked up yesterday.  

Not only am I helping keep stuff out of the landfill, I’m saving the gas to get there.  Another plus is that I’m saving my back…..they come to ME! 

All in all, I think freecycle is a great idea; and something I plan to use a lot more.  I’d encourage you to visit their website and sign up.  

No comments: