Monday, July 27, 2009

Tools

The other day I broke a pair of fingernail clippers that I have had for, well, about 25 years.  I was crushed.  They were not like your normal nail clippers, but more like a pair of wire cutting pliers.  Anyway, they were made in Solingen, Germany; a place long noted for the quality of its knives & cutting tools. 

I don’t remember how I came to have these particular nail clippers, but I treasured them.  They were so well made and finely finished.  They were a joy to use.  Everyone talks about “German Engineering”, and I’m sure you’d laugh.  But really……they were THAT good.  They broke, by the way, not in the line of duty, cutting nails, but in a futile mission, trying to open a hermetically sealed, tamper proof, me proof, everything proof plastic package…..you know the kind, I’m sure. 

Always a stupid move to abuse a good tool. 

Anyway, I went online this afternoon, to try and find a replacement, and was surprised at what they cost!  A new pair is something like $35!  That’s a lot of money just to cut your nails, but it caused me to think. 

I still have a number of the tools I bought when I first went into the trades.  A fair number of squares, punches etc, but even a few power tools; notably a Skil #77 worm drive saw, a Bosch #1582 jigsaw, and a Black & Decker drill.  They were then, and still are some of the most expensive tools in their class.  All of them are still running strong, however, after almost twenty five years.  At the time I bought them, I was making something like seven or eight dollars an hour, and what I spent on those tools was a HUGE amount of money for me!  

Like those nail clippers though, I haven’t regretted the expense at all.  Those tools are well made, well engineered, and have lasted longer than I would have expected.  I wouldn’t be surprised if my grandchildren will be able to make use of them. 

I was taught early on, by more experienced carpenters, that, when buying tools, you should always buy the best that you can afford.  Even though it hurt at the time to buy the best, I have never regretted it.  Those tools have made me far more money than I ever spent in buying them.  When you think about it, what is more expensive?  A saw that costs $200, but lasts for 25 years…..or 3 or 4, at $100 apiece, that only last a few years each? 

So, yeah, in the end, I plunked down the $35 for the nail clippers.  As long as I don’t use them to open up any more absolutely un-openable packages, I figure they’ll be clipping my nails for the rest of my life.  

Not a bad deal at all.

No comments: