Thursday, July 23, 2009

It's better than plumb!


Years ago, I asked a helper who was using a level to plumb a wall, whether the wall was indeed plumb.  "It's better than plumb!", he said.  Sigh.

On a job we're working on right now, I need to match some window sizes.  To do that, I needed to measure the existing masonry openings.  when I did, I discovered that all of them....and I mean all of them on the original house were 1/2" out of plumb.  Some were out to the left and others to the right, but ALL of them were out.

Houses settle, but that's not what caused this.  60 odd years ago, the mason who laid up these walls used a level that was 1/2" out of adjustment.  How he never caught on, I don't know, but here we are.  I mean, if the bubble reads plumb, it 's plumb.....right?

No.  You need to check it every now and then.

So, look at the picture, and you'll see how it's done.  Not too hard, right?  Now, what you do with your level after you discover it's out of whack is up to you.  If it's a Craftsman or a Stabila, just send it back for replacement.  If it's not?  Well, I think most carpenters have a decent collection of 4' concrete screeds. 

No comments: