Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Those guys are certifiable!


For the last three years, I have volunteered with NARI,  my trade association; teaching (facilitating is probably a better word) the “Certified Remodeler”, or CR course.  It’s a pretty involved thing…..12 weeks of classes, 2 hours per week; followed by an all day exam consisting of 550 questions.  

We go over lots of different material.  Everything from business management principles to sizing the returns on an HVAC system.  Even with years of experience, it’s a challenge, believe me.  When I took my certification exam, only 4 out of 12 passed……it’s a toughie. 

Anyway, we just finished up the course, and I’ll be administering the exam this Saturday.  The two guys I taught this year, Joe Sherrick & Dan Krienbuhl, have worked their tails off.  I just want to say “good luck”, and thanks for being such active participants.   I always enjoy the class, and each year, I get more insights into my profession.  

Just when you think you know everything you need to know, there is more to be learned.  Products, codes and best practices change all the time, and it takes a committed pro to keep up with all of that.  So, if you happen to be talking to a contractor, and he or she has a “CR” after their name, know that they are among the most dedicated in the business, and that they had to work their butt off to get those two letters. 

So, hats off guys, and best of luck this Saturday!

No comments: